Sunday, 24 April 2011

The Title Decider?...

A wonderful Sunday morning in Glasgow sets the stage for the final Old Firm tie of the season but will it be the title decider?....

A rather englarged police presence at the game set the scene outside as every turn had a gang of officers waiting for trouble but the game passed without major incidents it seems and it was a rather enjoyable game.

The game started at a great speed and the first call for referee Craig Thomson to make came after just seven minutes when Celtic's Joe Ledley clashed with Steven Whittaker but Thomson was having none of it.

Moments later, striker Kyle Lafferty nearly got on the end of a pass from fellow Northern Ireland international Steven Davis as Celtic keeper Fraser Forster and Charlie Mulgrew mixed each other up

Rangers Nikica Jelavic had set Maurice Edu's up but his shot from the edge of the box was deflected past for a corner as the hosts continued to pile on the pressure.

The home fans were then calling for a red card After Samaras pushed Rangers skipper David Weir to the ground inside penalty area but in the end both players were booked.

Hoops skipper Scott Brown sent a left-footed drive from 25 yards past McGregor's left-hand post while at the other end Steven Naismith's volley from 12 yards went wide of the target.

Rangers should have scored shortly after the restart when Gregg Wylde's cross from the left was met by Lafferty but he somehow headed past the post from six yards.

Ledley had to come off in the 54th minute holding his hamstring which could have been the tackle from Naismith or a pull but a freekick was given Celtic's way,Commons a suprise substitute came on to replace him.

Celtic went on the attack and McGregor had to make a great save from Majstorovic's close-range header to keep the game level.

In the 75th minute, the Rangers keeper made yet another great save, this time from Izaguirre's shot.

There was drama in the 81st minute when Celtic were awarded a penalty when substitute Stokes clashed with Davis inside the Rangers penalty area.

It was Samaras who stepped up to take it but was saved by McGregor who dived to his left to push the ball round the post.

There was time for Stokes to be booked for diving having gone to ground in the box after going past Rangers substitute John Fleck.

So the game finished 0-0,A fair result in the end and both teams know they can still go on to win the league but it is in Celtics hands as they are 1 point behind with a game in hand away to Inverness.

Have a good day all!


  1. nice! sounds like an intense game

  2. Sounds like a spectacular competition

    My favourite team lost yesterday and basically lost the title race for this year :(