Monday, 14 March 2011

Brechin Earn Cup Replay With St Johnstone.

Two goal hero McAllister celebrates.

Brechin City claimed a Scottish Cup replay against St Johnstone after an enthralling match at Glebe Park.

The minnows from the second division managed to get their pitch in a playable condition after snow interrupted other games over the country and they took the game to St Johnstone from the off and they should have found the net in the sixth minute when McAllister found Kevin Byers unmarked and, his low shot beat keeper Enckelman but the ball clipped the base of the post on its way out. 

St Johnstone looked unable to cope with the pace and enthusiasm and were finally rewarded for their efforts just four minutes before halftime when Neil Janczyk played a one-two with McKenna and went to ground as Murray Davidson slid across to make the tackle.

Janczyk stepped up to net from 12 yards, but the referee ordered a re-take for encroachment.

It was McAllister who took the responsibility for the re-take and the striker stroked home to give Brechin a deserved first half lead.

Millar replaced Adams as the Scottish Premier League outfit looked for a bit of inspiration to get them back in the tie.

Brechin looked the more determined side at the start of the second period and a well-worked break ended with Jamie Redman's shot was saved well by Enckelman.

St Johnstone went on the counter attack and a poor clearance from an earlier cross dropped right to substitute Millar who's shot made its way into the back of the net.

Brechin had another penalty claim turned down but the momentum had switched to The Saints as Danny Invincibile curled  narrowly wide. Peter MacDonald also volleyed over from six yards.

Their persistence did pay off however when keeper,Nelson made a superb save to tip MacDonald's header over, but the goalkeeper could do little to stop Saints taking the lead from the corner.

Danny Grainger's near-post delivery was headed powerfully by Invincibile, Nelson getting a hand to the ball as it flew into the net.

Nelson saved the tie for Brechin as he came  to the rescue from a MacDonald shot.

Just 12 minutes from time Brechin were rewarded as McAllister turned his defender and chased a lofted pass which he put past the keeper as it hit the post on the way in to get his second goal of the game.

McAllister missed his chance to get a dream hattrick as he fired over from the right angle of the box before  Stephen Reynolds, missed a gilt-edged chance inside the Brechin six-yard box.

Great cup tie which ended 2-2 and will be replayed on the 22nd March at McDiarmid Park

Lets hope its so exciting next time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment