Monday, 14 March 2011

Dundee Utd and Motherwell To Replay.

Goodwille about to score in spectacular fashion as the keeper looks stunned.

Dundee United twice came from behind to keep their Scottish Cup defence alive as David Goodwillie's overhead kick and another late intervention from Jon Daly cancelled out John Sutton's double.

It took Sutton just one minute to set the tie alive when he headed home in the first minute.

Swanson saw a free-kick comfortably held by Darren Randolph as United pushed to get an equaliser but Motherwell were finding room on the break with Francis Jeffers setting up Jamie Murphy for a weak long-range shot before curling wide.

Motherwell again had Randolph to thank as Goodwillie shot after the striker had shown good trickery inside the box to get away from the visitors defence.Again the keeper made a more routine stop as Swanson and Conway carved out a good chance for Buaben, whose shot lacked power.

They were then a let-off when Goodwillie went down under a risky penalty box challenge from Saunders, although the striker's exaggerated fall might have swayed referee, Murray from awarding a spot-kick.

Goodwillie soon levelled in spectacular fashion in the 40th minute. Conway's right-wing cross went behind the forward but he produced a superb overhead kick to beat Shaun Hutchinson to the ball eight yards out.

The teams went in level at halftime and after a slow start to the second half and 'Well had a good chance to retake the lead but Pernis was equal to Lasley's low strike after Jeffers done well well to lay the ball off to him outside the box.

Daly came on for Conway as United prepared to take a 63rd-minute corner and immediately headed the delivery from Barry Douglas but couldn't force the visitors keeper into a save.

Sutton's second goal of the game came when they put pressure down the left hand side and after
 defender Dixon nearly put a low cross into his own goal and more incisive build-up play from the visitors down the left brought the goal as a neat one-two from Hammell and Jeffers led to a cross which Sutton converted from close range.

United again drew level when Swanson got to the byline and put an enticing ball over the face of goal,which was too high for Goodwillie but substitute Daly knocked in from eight yards.

It was Motherwell who came closest to winning the game when Saunders came close from 30 yards and Hately's cross was missed by Jeffers but found its way to Chris Humphrey who volleyed wide from a tight angle.

Another all round good cup tie which will have to be replayed..Talk about a fixture pile up!

No comments:

Post a Comment